LEED quality assurance process
How we can help
Throughout the design and construction of State facilities DES is available for consultation regarding LEED and the requirements for reporting to DES. DES also helps in the design of cost effective, energy efficient buildings through the Energy Life Cycle Cost Analysis process administered by DES. With regards to specific assistance to State projects DES can participate in the following ways:
- Participate in an Eco-Charrette or Green Building Workshop early in the design process. (no cost)
- Provide Build-It LEED training to the general contractor selected for the construction of State projects. This should be done soon after selection. (no cost)
- Building commissioning scope development and oversight services. (fee for service)
DES focuses on the tracking of State LEED projects through design and construction, collects and compiles data regarding those projects. DES reports results to the Legislature every even year (pursuant to RCW 39.35D). DES also collects and reports on the energy and water consumption, renewable energy production, and water recovery of these projects through 2016.
DES continues to research viable energy and water efficiency strategies and equipment, as well as other green building strategies and products. Building metering for energy and water consumption is another area where DES continues to investigate for the best and most cost effective approaches to facilitate the ongoing reporting requirements, while keeping the impact on operating staff to a minimum.
DES intends to continue to enhance the DES Green Building website in the following areas:
- Case studies
- State LEED building tracking through design and construction
- Cost and savings tabulation
- Actual energy and water consumption report