2019: An aged roof was replaced on the Cherberg Building to alleviate chronic leaks. Work improved roof drainage, removed obsolete heating/ventilation/cooling equipment, replaced some skylights, replaced the roof membrane and added insulation.
In May, 2018 a leak in the basement wall where the video studio is located reappeared. In 2017, the leak was sealed from within the building to minimize disruption during the legislative session. Enterprise Services excavated soil from the wall and sealed the leak.
2017 - The West Campus Historic Buildings Exterior Repairs project included repair and preservation work on the Cherberg, Legislative, Temple of Justice, Insurance, Pritchard and O'Brien buildings. Project work included a condition assessment, preservation plan, and design and construction for repairs to the buildings. The work also included cleaning, needed to detect masonry defects and repair needs.
The John A. Cherberg Building was one of six government buildings envisioned in the 1911 Capitol Master Plan. Construction began in 1935 and was completed in 1937. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The 100,377 square-foot, four-story building was originally known as the "Public Lands and Social Security Building." Its placement and conceptual designed followed the plans of capitol architects Wilder and White. The building was designed by Olympia architect Joseph Wohleb.
Federal Public Works Administration funds were used to finance construction, which began during the Depression and was completed in 1937. Numerous alterations to the building were made beginning in the 1950s, with continual turnover of tenant agencies. In the 1960s the state Senate began to use the upper floors for offices. In 1984 and 1988, the first floors were significantly remodeled to create public hearing rooms, and in 1984 the building was renamed to honor John A. Cherberg, the 13th Lieutenant Governor of Washington from 1957 to 1989, which is longer than any other lieutenant governor in state history.
A nearly $34 million project was completed in 2006 that modernized the building. The project overhauled the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, corrected life-safety code deficiencies, strengthened seismic resistance, realigned offices and improved space use of the upper three floors, and installed new technology.