Photo credit: the Legislative Support Services Video Department
and Legislative Support Services Supply & Facilities
Cleaning and masonry repair work was performed on the Legislative Building. The Legislature approved $3.4 million for the work.
Masonry preservation work on the Legislative Building's dome, which includes cleaning, is generally performed about every seven years. The dome usually has a darkened appearance within five to six years of cleaning due to a lichen that grows on the sandstone. The growth is a natural occurrence in the northwest.
While brightening the dome’s appearance is the most noticeable aspect of the work, cleaning and preservation work go hand-in-hand. Not only would it be cost prohibitive to perform cleaning and preservation separately, cleaning without preservation work raises risk for water seeping into joints between the sandstone once lichen growth is removed. Cleaning also:
- Helps reveal areas where mortar between joints is failing or where the stone may be damaged
- Creates a clean surface so that the mortar can be replaced and sandstone may be repaired
- Removes lichen that can lead to standstone deterioration if not periodically washed off
- Improves the appearance of the building
Masonry and cleaning work was last done on the Legislative Building Dome in 2012
The West Campus Historic Buildings Exterior Repairs project includes repair and preservation work on the Cherberg, Legislative, Temple of Justice, Insurance, Pritchard and O'Brien buildings. Project work includes a condition assessment, preservation plan, and design and construction for repairs to the buildings. The work also includes cleaning, which is needed to detect masonry defects and repair needs.
Washington State's Legislative Building, often referred to as the Capitol Building, was completed in 1928 after six years of construction. It consists of 255,564 gross square feet and is comprised of more than 173 million pounds of stone, brick, concrete and steel.
The Legislative Building houses the two chambers of the state legislature and offices of several elected officials, including the governor. The structure consists of four floors with the dome at the center. The Legislative Building was added to the National Register of Historic Properties in 1979.
The Legislative Building is the centerpiece of the five historic capitol buildings designed by New York architects Walter Wilder and Harry White. Conceived in an architectural competition in 1911, and selected by the State Capitol Commission, Wilder and White's designs for the Legislative building were completed and set into implementation in 1922.
The building is the dominant feature of the capitol grounds, with its dome 287 feet (87m) high, making it the tallest self-supporting masonry dome in the United States and fifth tallest masonry dome in the world. A number of features in the structure commemorates Washington's addition to the Union as the 42nd state: 42 steps lead to the building's north entrance, and one of the four 42-star flags owned by the State are displayed in the State Reception Room.
The basic floor plan of the Legislative Building is simple, formal and symmetrical. There is a square, central section of four floors, surmounted by a domain. The Rotunda under the dome contains eminent public space above the first floor, with the tall, open space above it soaring 174 feet from the floor to the top of the interior dome. Rectangular wings of equal size on the east and west flank the central sections, and contain House and Senate activities, as well as offices for elected officials.