How to Surplus Items
There are three ways to handle surplus items valued under $500.
- Pre-approved/vetted items to be processed by Surplus Operations (follow the steps listed below)
- Donate or Transfer
1. Submit a request
Log in and create a request in the Surplus Request Management System. This system requires a login ID and password to log in to access. If you do not have a login, see our webpage: Register to use Surplus Request Management System. If you have additional questions or need assistance, contact Surplus Operations at email@example.com or call 360-407-2273.
Watch the introduction to SRMS video
2. Your request will be assigned a number and action
Once you submit a request, it will be assigned a surplus authority number within 24 hours. At that time we will also assign an action to be taken:
- Dispose/Sell @ ORG (DES) – The item will remain where it is and be sold online.
- Dispose/Sell @ ORG (ORG) – This is used to allow you to donate, or recycle the item(s).
- Will Pick Up – The item will be picked up within 30 business days.
- ORG Ship to Surplus – You will need to make arrangements to ship the item to our warehouse.
You are able to check the status of your surplus request at any time by logging into the system.
3. Locate your items for easy pickup
To assist us in processing your surplus requests in a timely manner, please help us by doing the following:
- To ensure all of your items are picked up please store all surplus items in one location.
- Palletize all like items together.
- Per OCIO security standards 8.3 all electronics including cell phones, tablets and hard drives must be wiped, unlocked and disconnected from any cloud accounts.
- All file cabinets, desks and miscellaneous cabinets are required to be emptied and clear of all documents.
- All printers and copiers are required to be emptied of paper.
- All safes are required to be open and empty with the combination and/ or keys taped inside.
- Label each item or pallet with your surplus approval number provided in your approval notice.
4. Instructions for vehicles and other titled equipment
Note any mechanical defects in the comments section of the disposal request. Provide as much detail as possible (i.e., bad transmission, check engine or warning lights on, bad brakes etc.).
Per RCW 46.37.195 the following items must be removed prior to pick up or drop off of your titled item:
- Security cages
- Emergency lights
- Push bumpers
- Radio equipment
- Stickers or decals
Send the title for your item as soon as the disposal request is approved to:
- Surplus Operations, P.O. Box 41030, Olympia, WA 98504 or via campus mail at mailstop 41030.
- Sign the title, include your full position title (do not use acronyms), do not date the title.
- If the vehicle has a rebuilt title, send the damage report with the title.
If the vehicle is to be picked up by Surplus Operations:
- Ensure it is easily accessible.
- Vehicle must be movable if not able to operate under its own power (i.e., flat tires, missing wheels, brakes locked up etc.).