Employee recognition is a tool that reinforces and rewards the most important outcomes people create for the workplace. When employees are recognized effectively, it reinforces the actions and behaviors you most want to see repeated.
Effective employee recognition is simple, immediate, and powerfully reinforcing. Recognition is most effective when it takes place on a regular basis and in a variety of different ways it can be given in many ways through a sincere thank you, giving praise, providing opportunity, or showing respect.
Ongoing, meaningful rewards and recognition provide an effective way of raising morale and encouraging higher levels of performance. Ensure you are recognizing your staff in a way that they see appropriate. Some employees may want to be recognized in front of everyone while others may want to be recognized behind closed doors.
- Simple Ideas
- Hand written 'Thank You' note
- Let employees know what they did right in a timely manner
- Letter of praise in personnel file
- Certificates of Recognition for specific action employee did
- Edible thank you’s (such as lunch of breakfast) for working on a hard project
- Round-Table of Kudos at meetings
- Recognition wall that fellow employees add to when a co-worker does something extraordinary
- Public Service Recognition Week held the first week in May
- Complex Ideas
- Quarterly "Length of Service" certificates & pins
- After hours team building event
- Agency branded items
- Recognition award such as a plaque, frame certificate, or clock (cannot exceed $200 per RCW 41.60.150)
If you have any questions, please contact your HR Business Partner.