Online Learning Resources for Workforce Development
Each month, we curate a collection of articles, videos, and other on-demand resources to support workforce learning and performance. Resources are grouped in six learning pathways.
- Workplace Culture and Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI)
This training pathway provides DEI learning and growth opportunities to support workplace cultures where inclusion and belonging are centered. These resources offer a range of learning options. The views and opinions expressed in these resources are those of the authors and do not reflect the official policy or position of DES. Learn more about DEI in Washington state from the Office of Financial Management and the Office of Equity.
- The Difference Between Racism and Colorism - Article
- Global Majority: we need to talk about labels such as ‘BAME’ - Article
- The New Threat: "Racism Without Racists" - Article
- Book TV at Duke University: Eduardo Bonilla-Silva, "Racism Without Racists" - YouTube Video (00:10:00)
- Workforce Well-being and Support
Today's employees face many challenges to their well-being that can impact mental health and work performance. Promoting well-being practices and resources in the workplace helps reduce some barriers to seeking care and practicing self-care. In addition to these resources, the Washington State Employee Assistance Program offers support and resources for client organizations.
- Bullying in the workplace - Article
- Domestic violence awareness - Article
- Breaking the Burnout Cycle Webinar - Oct. 27th - WebinarArticle (00:60:00)
- Burnout for Leaders: Supporting Staff and Yourself - Oct. 24 - WebinarArticle (00:60:00)
- General Leadership
General leadership development expands the capacity of individuals to perform in supervisory and influencer roles within teams and organizations. DES also offers leadership development training.
- 5 Ways to Build Emotional Intelligence in Teams in 2022 - YouTube Video
- 5 Ways Emotional Intelligence Can Make You a Better Leader - Article
- Why Emotional Intelligence is Important in Leadership - Article
- What's the Relationship Between Emotional Intelligence and Leadership - Article
Self-leadership is the practice of intentionally influencing your thinking, feeling and actions towards your objectives.
- The Father of Emotional Intelligence on How to Manage Your Emotions at Work - YouTube Video (00:54:25)
- How to Improve Emotional Intelligence in 9 Steps - Article
- How to Improve Your Emotional Intelligence - Article
- Emotional Intelligence Skills: What They Are & How to Develop Them - Article
- Hybrid Work
These resources focus on the future of work in a post-pandemic environment.
- Don't Confuse "Being in the Office" with "Culture" - Article
- Tips to Avoid WFH Burnout - Article
- Keeping Hybrid Employees Engaged - Article
- 10 Signs You Could Be Working Yourself to Death in a Hybrid World - Article
Comprehensive, step-by-step instruction on how to effectively understand, use, and master tasks such as how to use computer apps (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, etc.) as well as manual skills (e.g., how to use a fire extinguisher, lift a box, etc.).
- Microsoft Teams Video Training - Online Course
- 37 Microsoft Teams Tricks and Tips for 2022 - Other
- 40 MS Teams Tips and Tricks: from Novice to Expert - Other
- How to Use MS Teams for Project Management - YouTube Video (00:13:42)