Jan. 11, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OLYMPIA - The 600 Franklin Street building in downtown Olympia, which formerly housed the Department of Personnel, is now for sale to the public.
The listed sale price for the building, which was built in 1951 and renovated in 1998, is $2.85 million.
Personnel moved out of the building last summer in preparation for its October 2011 merger with all or parts of four other state agencies, forming the new Department of Enterprise Services (DES). The building has been vacant since then.
It is one of several state-owned buildings Gov. Chris Gregoire identified in December 2010 as surplus to the needs of the state. The goal is to sell these properties at fair market value with the proceeds going to the state general fund.
Enterprise Services has contracted with NAI Puget Sound Properties, a private commercial real estate broker, to help market the building.
State real estate policy makes surplus property available to public sector entities first. The City of Olympia and Olympia School District indicated interest in the 600 Franklin Building, but declined to submit proposals. The building is now available to any interested buyer.
The state bought the 27,000-square-foot building in 1983. The building, which once housed a Sears store, includes a lot with 119 parking stalls, which is currently being leased by the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
For more information:
Jim Erskine, DES Communications
(360) 407-9212, firstname.lastname@example.org