Old Capitol Flue Pipe and Fuel Storage Tank Replacement

Old Capitol Flue Pipe and Fuel Storage Tank Replacement

Status: Complete

DES oversaw two construction projects to support tenant safety and comfort at the Old Capitol building. Work to remove and replace the building’s flue pipe and underground diesel fuel storage tank began Nov. 1, 2021.

The building's flue pipe reached the end of its natural life expectancy and would become more prone to leaks as it ages. The existing fuel tank, which powers the building’s emergency generator, was also nearing the end of its natural life expectancy. While the old tank was located underground, DES took this opportunity to replace it with a new tank relocated above ground in the generator room. This made it easier to monitor and maintain and extend its life expectancy. This work also involved removing and replacing a portion of the existing concrete driveway.

Past Old Capitol Building projects

  • 2017 Pedestrian pathways were replaced and ramps were installed that comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
  • 2017 Repairs to the building exterior, including masonry work and replacing the building's two large skylights.
  • 2015 Repair of collapsed drain lines and installation of new storm-drain cleanouts, replacement of the garage/mechanical room roof, repair of gutters and roof flashing and repair of interior water-damaged plaster.
  • 2016 Cleaning of the building exterior, masonry repairs and window restoration.

Building History

The building first opened in 1892 and served as the Thurston County Courthouse. The state purchased the building in 1902 for use as the state capitol building. The Washington State Legislature met there until the current Legislative Building opened in 1928. The Old Capitol Building is on the National Register of Historic Places, U.S. Department of the Interior’s list of sites, buildings, and structures regarded as worthy of preservation.