Loss Prevention Program benefits everyone. Employee and citizen accidents and/or damages are prevented or minimized, which in turn minimizes negative impact on scarce state resources.
- RCW 43.19.760(3) expresses the state policy 'to eliminate or delete conditions and practices which contribute to loss whenever practical.'
- RCW 43.19.766 requires the Office of Risk Management (ORM) of DES 'to make recommendations when appropriate to state agencies on the application of prudent safety, security, loss prevention, and loss minimization methods so as to reduce or avoid risk or loss.'
- RCW 43.19.781(2) directs state agencies to “provide top management support and commitment to safety and loss control, and develop awareness through education, training, and information sharing.”
RCW 43.19.781(2) directs ORM to establish a coordinated safety and loss control program to:
- Reduce liability exposure, safeguard state assets, and reduce costs associated with state liability and property losses;
- Develop and maintain centralized loss history information to identify and analyze risk (confidential and reported only to appropriate agencies);
- Develop methods of statistically monitoring agency and statewide effectiveness in controlling losses;
- Routinely review agency loss control programs as appropriate to suggest improvements, and observe and recognize successful safety policies and procedures; and
- Provide small agency loss control assistance as needed.
- Assist state agencies and provide training and education in applying appropriate loss prevention techniques to identify and better manage risk exposures. The Department of Enterprise Services, Office of Risk Management provides a variety of risk management training and education courses.
- Develop and implement statewide policies and programs designed to identify and avoid, or reduce, major exposures.
- Provide loss prevention assistance to small agencies as needed.
- Analyzes major claim causes and types.
- Advises agencies on ways to reduce or eliminate tort claim costs.
- Conducts special studies and research projects.
- Provides loss history data for individual agencies.
- Provides loss prevention assistance to small agencies as needed.