Leaving State Service



When an employee leaves state service or retires from state government, certain actions must be taken. Your supervisor is required to fill out the Employee Exit Checklist form and the Personnel/Payroll Data Sheet (PPDS) form on your behalf. These forms will provide information to the areas of the agency that need to be aware of your departure.

Take Action

Schedule to meet with your supervisor to:

  • Verify leave balances and eligibility for payment of unused vacation leave.
  • Cancel pre-authorized payroll deductions (Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, Auto/Home Insurance).
  • Make sure your address is current.

There are several resources available to you before, during and after separation. Be sure to familiarize yourself with what state, local government or non-profit organizations have to offer.


You will need to decide if you will want to continue your health insurance coverage. Depending on your situation, you may be eligible to self-pay for insurance continuation under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). COBRA enrollment is required within 60 days of separation. Additional information regarding COBRA can be found through the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) or by calling (360) 412-4200 or 1 (800) 200-1004. If you are eligible for COBRA, you must complete the COBRA Continuation of Coverage Election form and submit it to the PEBB Program.

Private Insurance Coverage Options

Get help finding health care coverage for you and your family using a free service offered by the Office of the Insurance Commissioner, call (800) 562-6900.


For information about filing for unemployment, visit the Employment Security Department website or call (800) 318-6022. You will find frequently asked questions and additional Unemployment Information.


If you have a current profile in the state online recruiting system (careers.wa.gov,) your log-in information will remain the same. Be sure to update your email address to a personal email to receive communication for any jobs you have applied for. Search for opportunities within state government or visit a local Work Source Center for job search assistance.


The decision to retire is an important one. When you’re ready, you will need to submit a letter notifying your employer of your retirement plan and the date you intend to resign. You will need to decide what you will do regarding your retirement and savings plan participation and contributions.

Employees who choose to retire must contact the Department of Retirement Systems (DRS). Call (360) 664-7000, or 1 (800) 547-6657 for planning and balance information. Several online tools including retirement planning seminars, online account access, a benefit estimator, and account balance are available.

  • Retiring Employees Continued Medical Coverage
    Employees who are retiring may be eligible for continued coverage by applying for coverage through Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) retiree coverage by calling (360) 412-4200, or (800) 200-1004.

  • Voluntary Employees’ Beneficiary Association (VEBA) Plan
    VEBA is a health reimbursement arrangement offered by VEBA Trust. Retiring DES employees are eligible to receive sick leave cash-out and sign the VEBA Membership Enrollment Form. For additional information visit the VEBA website or call (888) 828-4953.

  • Deferred Compensation Program (DCP)
    Deferred Compensation Program is supplemental retirement savings program administered by DRS. Their Distribution Booklet provides valuable information on topics including how to defer unused leave cash out, leaving money in the program after separation, fund distribution options and how to request distribution of funds. To determine DCP balances or options, contact DRS at (888) 327-5596.

Other Resources

Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers assessment and referrals to help employees and their family members who are going through challenging times or dealing with difficult issues. EAP services are available statewide. For additional information, call (360) 407-9490.