Travel Do's & Don'ts - Quick Reference Guide
The following rules are high level summaries. For further details see the State Administrative & Accounting Manual (SAAM) reference.
- All state agencies must comply with SAAM.
- All state employees, volunteers, and contractors must comply with SAAM.
- Use most economical travel alternatives unless Health/Safety issue.
- Get agency head approval in advance to travel out of state.
- Get approval from Governor or Board to travel out of U.S. or British Columbia.
- Do not reimburse for unnecessary travel costs such as alcoholic beverages.
- Combined business & personal travel must not result in additional cost to the state.
- Follow special travel rules and travel restrictions for Board, Commission or Committee members.
- Meetings: State gatherings must be held in government facilities unless properly justified.
- Reimburse actual lodging expenses up to limits used in the Continental USA and Non Continental USA schedules.
except under special circumstances.
- Do not reimburse lodging expenses incurred at official station or residence.
- Do not reimburse lodging expenses within 50 miles of official station or residence.
Meals/Coffee and Light Refreshments
- Reimburse meals on an allowance basis at rates used in the Continental USA and Non Continental schedules.
On overnight travel assignments and in travel status for the entire meal period.
On non-overnight travel assignments when the traveler has been in travel status for at least eleven hours and travels during the entire meal period.
- Do not reimburse for meal expenses incurred at official station or residence.
exception for meals with meetings.
- Serve coffee and light refreshments only in accordance with agency policy and compliant with other directives.
- Rates for Lodging, Meals and Private Vehicle Mileage schedule.
- Do not reimburse for commuting miles between official residence and station.
- Agencies may purchase airline and other common carrier tickets in advance.
- Use an DES qualified travel provider when making air travel arrangements.
- Permanently assign state owned vehicles to employees when warranted 12.20.30.
- Allow commuting in state owned vehicles when warranted 12.20.35.
- Do not use state owned or leased vehicles for personal business 12.30.20
- Do not use state contract rental vehicles for personal business.