SQL Overview for Basic SQL Constructs
Structured Query Language (SQL) is the programming language for managing data in relational databases. This class will discuss the theory, logic, and syntax, and give a basic overview so that you can obtain a basic understanding of SQL capabilities.
Finding agile solutions in a technical world and delivering technology projects can be difficult, particularly understanding how different technological elements work together towards a solution. This is the recommended seventh class of the Technical Solutions Delivery Certificate that provides an overview of technological understanding to help in the communication of projects and working relationships.
Class format includes lecture, hands-on exercises, and real world examples.
Performance Objectives: Upon completion of this class, you should be able to:
- Describe parts of the SQL language and understand its power within relational databases.
- Use SQL to retrieve data from a relational database.
- Work with SQL calculations and functions to manipulate data.
- Add conditional logic for more complex selections.
- Join multiple related tables.
- Recognize and understand the power of subqueries.
- Describe using SQL to change data in a database.
Competencies Covered: Overall review of technical structure
Intended Audience: This course is ideal for anyone, but especially communications professionals, who are involved in the conception. This class is aimed at non IT professionals to gain an understanding with the IT world.
Recommended Prerequisite: To be successful in this course, you should be familiar with using personal computers, the mouse and keyboard. You should be able to use Windows to launch and close programs; navigate to information stored on the computer; and manage files and folders.