Employee Information Changes



This page will help you understand the necessary steps to make changes to your personal information.

Whether you are changing your name, changing your address, entering into a marriage, domestic partnership, getting a divorce, or/adding a dependent, all situations may present employees with changes that need to be made.

Take Action

Name and Address Change

Legally changing your name requires that you complete local and federal government forms before making changes to your personal information. You agency cannot change your name in the payroll system unless you have already changed your name with the Social Security Administration. You must promptly correct your records to ensure correct federal tax reporting, prompt tax refunds, and proper crediting of your wage to your Social Security account.

  • Social Security Record and Card
    Visit the Social Security website for information about changing your name and to locate your local Social Security Administration office. Take the necessary steps to obtain a new Social Security card. Once the new card arrives, bring it to your agency’s HR contact and they will make the necessary updates.
  • Address change in Employee Self Service (ESS)
    To update your mailing address and other personal information, log into ESS at https://myhrms.wa.gov/irj/portal (from your work computer) or https://wahrms.wa.gov/irj/portal (from your home computer).

Adding/Removing a Dependent to your Health Insurance Plan

Changes made to a dependent requires that they be changed within 60 days from the date of the qualifying event (marriage, divorce, birth, adoption, etc.). Your decision may depend on what other health insurance coverage your family has. To add or remove a dependent to your health insurance plan:

Enrollment, Adding and/or Removing coverage or a beneficiary for Life Insurance

If you have any questions about eligibility, or about the process of adding a dependent to your health insurance coverage, contact the Health Care Authority.

  • Significant life events (births, marriages, domestic partnerships, etc.) are a great time to review your life insurance coverage. To change your beneficiary or add or remove coverage, visit the PEBB website and complete the Life and AD&D Insurance Enrollment/Change form.

Retirement Beneficiary Change

Complete the Beneficiary Designation Form and return directly to Washington State Department of Retirement Systems (DRS). If you have questions regarding this process, please contact the Department of Retirement Systems (DRS) at (800) 547-6657.