Glass and Stone Mosaic Mural
Made by Jean Cory Beall, 1959
The mural is made of small squares or “tesserae” of Byzantine glass and stone, and is constructed on a gently curved wall. Each piece was hand-cut in Venetian factories. Artist Jean C. Beall was a celebrated and respected Seattle artist and remarkable as a role model for women in the arts at that time. She was an early proponent for a percent for art within public construction budgets, and in 1961 was selected by Governor Albert Rosellini to serve on the State’s inaugural Arts Commission. She served two terms.
This art is located in the Helen Sommers Building.